Title: The New Dynamic of Portfolio Management
Subtitle: Innovative Methods and Tools for Rapid Results
Author: Murali Kulathumani, MBA, CSM
Details: Softcover, 7×10, 336 pages, ISBN: 978-1-60427-177-5, April 2021
Retail Price: $39.95
JRP Direct Price: $34.95
Exclusively for the PM/BA Times community, use the coupon code: BAPM20 at checkout to save an extra 20% on J. Ross Publishing titles.
“In today’s hyper-paced business environment, CIOs need portfolio management to show results fast. This book shows the glide path to the portfolio finish line with a refreshing innovative mindset.”
—Michael Brady, Chief Information Officer, USAA
“This bold new book describes why portfolio management is the third wave of the project management revolution and how to win at it!”
—Ruth Lang, Deputy Chief Information Officer at Oregon Department of Revenue
This bold new text approaches project portfolio management from a fresh new lens of delivering immediate value. In today’s hyper-paced business climate, the need for portfolio management has grown exponentially but the time to deliver results has dramatically shortened. This book recognizes that and explains how an impactful portfolio is attainable using a back-to-basics approach. It also walks readers through the actual implementation of each portfolio component using a popular platform called Smartsheet. Whether you already have a project portfolio, or are starting to build a portfolio from scratch, this breakthrough book will show you how to obtain a high-performing project portfolio without investing in expensive tools.
The New Dynamic of Portfolio Management recognizes the need of a huge number of organizations for a simple, yet advanced portfolio that can be scaled based on your starting point. Every section of this practical desk reference provides guidance for getting your portfolio up and running quickly to achieve immediate results. It also presents a detailed look at successful portfolio governance; explores the important relationship between the portfolio office, CIO, and finance department; and supplies effective funding strategies for project portfolios.
- Sequentially covers the essential capabilities of an effective portfolio and provides a logical construct of how the different capability areas interact
- Provides a complete understanding of all the building blocks of a portfolio, the critical success factors needed to achieve desired results, and the nuances involved in implementing them
- Explains how to effectively monitor and manage the performance of a portfolio, including balancing a portfolio, benefits realization, and annual planning
- Addresses problems portfolio managers often face when trying to roll out capability enhancements in their organizations
- Describes maturity levels in each of the important areas of portfolio management and demonstrates how to benchmark your organization’s level of attainment to continuously graduate to the next capability level and achieve world-class performance
- Examines the characteristics of an ideal portfolio manager, strategies for staffing the portfolio office, putting the ideal reporting structure in place in the organizational hierarchy, and the role played by the business in enabling successful portfolio management
About the Author
Murali Kulathumani, PMP, has over 22 years of IT management experience. He has successfully managed large project portfolios at leading Silicon Valley firms such as Facebook, Cisco, Symantec, and Kaiser Permanente. Murali has extensive knowledge of the full spectrum of portfolio capabilities and pioneered a simplified form of earned value management, called mEVM, which has been well received by industry practitioners and several organizations. In fact, it has become the standard at a billion-dollar business unit of a leading health care provider in the United States.