- Adaptable and flexible
- Leads and initiates
- Confident and persuasive
- Fluency and clarity with communication between the team and with stakeholders(effective communicator)
- Disciplined and well organized
- Possesses skills in planning and control
- Identifies problems with ease / skill
- Problem solver
- Effective in time management
A project manager is responsible for his team and team performance. Hence he has a behavioral commitment in light of his responsibilities. This can be summed up by the acronym LEAR.
- Listen: He has to give ample amount of attention to his team, by being an attentive listener.
- Explore: Information that is gathered from the team should be further researched and assessed. This is where his responsibility towards the team and project come into plat; when he acts on information obtained.
- Acknowledge: Give credit to whom credit is due. This can be done only by the project manager towards his team.
- Respond: When there are issues raised within the team, the project manager should initiate a response or action, in view of his position as head of the team and the leadership qualities he possesses. He should also be able to prepare and conduct meetings with ease.
Business Management skills
A project manager is part of an organization, and in essence a manager too. Therefore he has a certain obligation to the organization in view of his position.
- Possess a strong understanding of the business and business operations
- Possess adequate knowledge of project management
- Ability to translate business requirements into projects
- Ability to convert projects into business products or services
- Have the ability to teach, train and develop project team during the course of a project in the interest of the organization.
Apart from having a strong personality, being a good team builder and a manager, it is necessary that a project manager has strong technical skills that wrap up his responsibilities.
- He should be qualified to make technical judgment and decisions
- He should have a clear understanding of the scope of the project and what it involves
- He should be able to distinguish the needs of the different parameters one from another (cost, time, resources, manpower) and be able to prioritize tasks based on these.
- He should be able to conduct effective risk management, change control, project execution and close-out
- He should have a proper knowledge about project management tools and their functionality
Don't forget to leave your comments below.